, Photo of Terry Fawell and Alex James Fawell ,
Championing Your Rights

Representing Clients In Domestic Violence Cases

What Is Domestic Violence? What If I Am Falsely Accused?

In Illinois, domestic abuse includes physical abuse such as hitting or shoving and threats of violence. If you are a victim of domestic violence in a married or unmarried relationship, you can seek an order of protection against the abuser.

Terry Fawell and Alex Fawell bring extensive experience to our firm. Our attorneys represent victims of domestic violence in the western Chicago suburbs, as well as people who are falsely accused of domestic violence.

We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Our office is across the street from the DuPage County Courthouse.

What Can I Do To Protect Myself As A Victim?

  • You can obtain an emergency order of protection without notifying the other person. This order can last for up to 14 days.
  • The protection order will be served on the other party, and he or she will have an opportunity to respond to it. At a court hearing, the judge will listen to you and the other party to determine if the order should be extended.
  • Illinois courts are wary of using a protection order to force someone from his or her home during the divorce process. Unless there is physical spousal abuse, the courts are reluctant to evict someone.
  • A protection order bars the other party from having any contact with you and can award you exclusive possession of your home.

What If I Am Falsely Accused Of Spousal Abuse?

If someone has an ex parte protection order against you (an order that you did not have a chance to respond to), we can file a motion to vacate that order. If you were wrongfully thrown out of your house and prevented from seeing your children, we can file this motion on short notice and correct the situation.

A false accusation of domestic violence can have a devastating effect on your life, so don’t delay in seeking out an experienced attorney if you have been falsely accused.

Don’t Wait To Consult An Experienced Lawyer

For a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys about your domestic violence case, contact us online or call 630-480-6253 today. From our office in Wheaton, we serve clients in DuPage, Kane and Will counties.