Modifying Or Enforcing Existing Court Orders

Decisions regarding child custody and child support are made under a certain set of circumstances. As we all know, life changes. People remarry. People get job offers in different states. People do not comply with the court orders.

We provide modification and enforcement services. These services can be required months or years after a marital settlement agreement has been reached.

We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case, so you can learn what will happen to child support if, for example, your ex-spouse remarries. Call our Wheaton attorney for modifications and enforcement: 630-480-6253.

How Does Modification Work?

Attorney Terry Fawell has more than 30 years of experience representing people throughout the western Chicago suburbs. If you are interested in modifying a court order or opposed to a requested modification, you can feel confident choosing our services. We can give you an honest assessment of your case and make you feel comfortable about moving forward toward your goal.

If you are seeking or opposing a child custody modification, it is important to note that the burden is on the party seeking the modification. A custody judgment cannot be modified for two years unless there is serious endangerment. After two years, the court looks at what is in the best interests of the children. The custodial parent may seek "removal" (permission to move out of state) at any time. If the noncustodial parent does not agree with the relocation, the custodial parent must file a petition. There is often a hearing, and a judge rules on the decision.

If you are seeking child support modification, the state guidelines will apply to the case. Remarriage, a new job or any other significant change in finances can merit a change to support obligations.

Legal Options For Enforcement Of Court Orders

Is the other party not following the agreed-upon child custody schedule? Is the other party not making timely child support payments? You have the right to take legal action to enforce court orders. Remember, though, that you must comply with the parenting schedule, even if the other party is not paying child support. We can talk to you about your options for enforcing child support and custody.

Consult A Skilled Lawyer Today

For a free initial consultation about your modification or enforcement case, contact Fawell & Fawell. From our office in Wheaton, we serve clients in DuPage, Kane and Will counties. Call 630-480-6253 today.